"I have always been impressed with the way UKSG skilfully caters for the needs of the whole industry, and it’s been a real privilege to sit at the heart of this vibrant and intelligent community – it reminds me that we can always learn new things, meet great new people and perhaps give something back!" Committee member
UKSG is led by a Main Committee of up to eighteen volunteers who work full-time in a variety of roles within the scholarly and professional knowledge community. The Committee comprises:
- three Honorary Officers (Chair, Treasurer and Secretary)
- nine elected members
- up to six co-opted members
Committee members are elected by UKSG members in an online vote before the AGM and meet regularly to determine general policy and to discuss operational issues. Main Committee also oversees the lis-e-resources discussion list. Any UKSG member can nominate themselves, or another member, to become a Committee member.
Subcommittees with responsibilities for Education and Events, Insights Editorial Board, Outreach and Engagement and Research and Innovation report to the Main Committee. Self-nominations are welcomed. Subcommittee members are appointed by each subcommittee’s Chair, initially for a one-year term. Volunteers participate actively during and between subcommittee meetings which take place in a variety of interesting locations.
Education and Events Subcommittee
The Education and Events Subcommittee develops and organises seminars, webinars and events to support professional training and development within the scholarly information community. Suggestions for topics and speakers are always welcome.
Chair: Anna Grigson, The Library, London School of Economics and Political Science
Insights Editorial Board
The Insights Editorial Board oversees and supports Insights: the UKSG journal. Suggestions for articles and authors are always welcome.
Chair: Joanna Ball, University of Sussex
Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee
The new Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee was created in 2018 and looks after UKSG members and their interests. It also engages with the wider UKSG community and its needs and challenges. Its specific aims and objectives are:
- To develop the membership of UKSG through raising awareness of UKSG activities and member benefits
- To promote engagement with the UKSG community with the aim of understanding the likely short, medium and long-term training requirements of the sectors which we serve
- To work closely and effectively with the Education and Events Subcommittee, the Insights Steering Group and the Research and Innovation Subcommittee
- To oversee the dissemination of news and current information about the information industry to UKSG members, via UKSG eNews
- To work with other organisations with similar aims and objectives where appropriate
- To carry out the above aims with due regard to cross-sectoral objectivity, and to the charitable status of UKSG
Research and innovation is a key theme and activity area for UKSG and the communities it serves.
This sub-committee has recently been re-configured into a smaller agile working group which will launch and run a number of key activities from 2019 onwards.
The working group currently comprises of:
|Dominic Broadhurst||University of Manchester|
|Jason Harper||University of Plymouth|
If you are interested in contributing to the group then please contact Dominic Broadhurst.
UKSG employs an Executive Director, an Events Assistant, a Publications Associate, a Digital Communications Associate and an Accounts Administrator.