A highly practical one-day workshop developing knowledge, skills and confidence to support academic librarians and consortia members engaged in negotiating with publishers and other vendors for electronic resources. Librarians will be able to apply what they learn immediately to ongoing and future negotiations, both new deals and renewals.
Why you should attend
Negotiation Skills for Librarians has been written for serials and acquisitions librarians and consortia members involved in the acquisition of electronic resources in academic institutions or on behalf of academic consortia*. Written at an introductory-intermediate level, the workshop is for those who are new to negotiations or who have some negotiation experience and are seeking a ‘refresher’ and/or additional tips, skills and knowledge. It will also benefit those being trained to undertake purchasing roles in the future. More experienced negotiators are welcome to attend but are asked to be aware of the intended level of this workshop. The workshop focuses on e-journals and other serially published content (although some of the learning will support eBook/database acquisition).
*Although the primary focus of the course is on e-resources acquisition in an academic environment, information/knowledge workers in public libraries and corporations are welcome. Equally, although the course is designed primarily for those new or relatively new to publisher negotiations, more experienced negotiators have found it to be of great benefit.
Course level and previous knowledge required
Written at an introductory-intermediate level, the workshop is for those who are new to negotiations or who have some negotiation experience and are seeking a ‘refresher’ and/or additional tips, skills and knowledge. It will also benefit those being trained to undertake purchasing roles in the future.
- Learn proven, highly practical negotiation skills and knowledge which you can use immediately in your professional life
- Learn The Four Cornerstones – four key strategies which underpin all successful negotiations
- Practice The Seven Habits of Effective Negotiation – intelligent negotiation tactics which will help you get the best deal possible, on pricing and on terms
- Apply these skills and knowledge to resolve a range of mini-negotiation situations
- Learn Six Powerful Questions to help you keep negotiations on track – and a five-step negotiation model recommended by the FBI!
- Share your negotiation questions, challenges and concerns in a confidential and supportive environment
- Build your confidence in relation to publisher negotiations
- Learn a powerful model for developing your personal resilience, a capacity proven to enhance negotiation abilities and outcomes.
NB: UKSG reserves the right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its reasonable control without being obliged to refund monies.