- What is UKSG?
- What do we do?
- How do we do it?
- What's the point?
- How do I become a member?
- What does 'UKSG' stand for?
- Who runs UKSG?
UKSG is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. Our vision is to use our breadth of knowledge and influence to facilitate an efficient information chain, a better information experience for scholars, and a world where all members of the scholarly and professional information supply chain understand each other.
Our mission is to connect the information community and encourage the exchange of ideas on scholarly communication. We are the only organisation spanning the wide range of interests and activities across the scholarly information community of librarians, publishers, intermediaries and technology vendors.
In a dynamic environment, UKSG works to:
- facilitate community integration, networking, discussion and exchange of ideas
- improve members' knowledge of the scholarly information sector and support skills development
- stimulate research and collaborative initiatives, encourage innovation and promote standards for good practice
- disseminate news, information and publications, and raise awareness of services that support the scholarly information sector.
- Our annual conference
- Our email discussion list
- Our training and seminars
- Our 'key issues' reports
- Our research initiatives and collaborative projects
- Our journal, Insights
- Our e-resources management skills handbook
- Our newsletter, UKSG eNews
- Our blog, UKSGLive
- Our Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter profiles
With a membership of 500 organisations, a third of them based outside the UK, UKSG engages a broad cross-section of people concerned with the publication, distribution and use of scholarly and professional information. Members pay an annual corporate subscription which offers everyone in their organisation a range of valuable benefits, including subscriptions to our publications and discounts for our events.
Membership of UKSG is open to any organisation or individual. Membership is by calendar year (January - December); the annual membership fee for 2012 is £99.00 (+ VAT @ 20% where applicable). To apply for membership, please fill in this form - but first check whether your organisation is already a member.
Originally, UKSG stood for the United Kingdom Serials Group. Now that our geographic appeal has grown beyond the UK, and our scope has broadened to include e-books, e-learning and other e-resources as well as serials and e-journals, we have stopped expanding the acronym and we simply call ourselves UKSG.
UKSG is led by a main committee of up to 18 members who work full time in a variety of capacities within the scholarly and professional information community. The Committee comprises:
- three Honorary Officers (Chair, Treasurer and Secretary)
- nine elected members
- up to six co-opted members
Committee members are elected by the membership at the Group's AGM and meet regularly to determine general policy and to discuss operational issues. Any member can nominate themselves, or another member, to become a Committee member.
Subcommittees with responsibilities for Education, Publications and Research report to the UKSG Committee. Self-nominations are welcomed.
The Group's journal, Insights, is supported by an international Editorial Board.
The UKSG employs a full-time Business Manager, a part-time Administrator, a part-time Publications Associate and a part-time Digital Communications Associate, and contracts the services of a part-time Marketing Associate.
For more information about UKSG please contact us.
A company registered in England and limited by guarantee
Company Number: 4145775 Registered Charity Number: 1093946
Registered office: Bowman & Hillier Building, The Old Brewery,
Priory Lane, Burford, Oxon OX18 4SG