UKSG Practical Project Management
We all have to manage projects. Whether you are implementing a new system, migrating services, managing a vendor selection process, managing an office move or creating a new product or service, we are often managing projects without the support of a professionally trained project manager. We are expected to deliver more with less, and it mustn’t go wrong on our watch! If this sounds familiar, then help is at hand.
UKSG Practical Project Management is a highly practical workshop aimed at librarians, publishers and intermediaries responsible for managing a variety of projects of any size, including vendor selection, tenders, implementing systems, system migration and web site creation and change projects. It is assumed that delegates have little or no formal project management training.
In this workshop we introduce a simple and free project management tool that enables you to run projects of any size and any level of complexity from a single sheet of paper, providing you with all the key information you need, enabling you to stay on track and deliver on time and on budget.
One of the key benefits of the workshop is that delegates can bring a real project they will be working on and use the workshop to create a real project plan for that project, so they create something valuable on the day as well as getting trained.
The workshop is very practical with a mix of tools and techniques as well as specially designed exercises to enable you to leave the workshop ready to implement the tools in your projects immediately. Exercises, worksheets and handouts are provided for you to take away.
By the end of the workshop, delegates will be:
• confident in their ability to take on projects of any size
• more productive and efficient, resulting in less overwhelm and fire-fighting
• familiar with a new project management tool that enables them to run projects of any size and level of complexity from a single sheet of paper
• skilful at managing multiple projects, providing updates for everybody involved and seeing at a glance where attention needs to be focused
• ready to put their new skills and techniques into practice immediately to impact their job the day they return to the office.
In addition, each delegate will have the opportunity to develop a project plan for a real project they are about to begin. This provides the opportunity for learning new skills in a highly practical way as well as doing some ‘real work’ during the session!